The rollout of GST in 2017 will necessitate change to the invoice format. An invoice become a basic document for recording the sale/purchase in books of account. And it is prepared under a sale transaction. A registered person must issue a tax invoice before, or at the time of removal of goods for supply to the recipient. GST Tax invoice prepared based on the guidelines of GST Law.
Information required in a GST invoice Format
- Name and address of the supplier:Name and Address of the supplier is mentioned.
- GSTIN number of the supplier:Registration number of GST, GSTIN must be mentioned on GST Tax Invoice.
- GST Tax Invoice Number: It must generate a consecutive serial number containing only alphabets and/or numerals, unique for a financial year.
- Date of GST Invoice:Gst Tax Invoice is required to be given as per the date of issue.
- Name, Address and GSTIN of the Recipient in GST invoice:If such recipient is unregistered and where the value of taxable supply is more than fifty thousand rupee;then the invoice should carry:
- name and address of the recipient,
- address of delivery,
- state name and state code
- HSN code or SAC code in GST Invoice:HSN code means Harmonized System Number code and SAC code means Service Accounting Code number.Dealers will need to adopt two, four, or eight-digit HSN codes for their commodities, depending on their turnover the previous year.Where SAC Code or Service Accounting Code is used to identify services under GST.
- Description of the goods/services: If Goods are supplied, then the description of goods are mentioned otherwise description of service is mentioned in GST invoice.
- Quantity of the goods or services.
- Total value of supply of goods or services or both
- Taxable value:supply after adjusting any discount.
- Applicable rate of GST:The rate of GST is required to be declared when issuing GST Tax Invoice. Either CGST and SGST or CGST and IGST can be mentioned in such Tax Invoice depends upon the nature of transaction whether interstate supply or intrastate supply of goods and/or services.
- Amount of tax:Amount of GST derived is mentioned separately as IGST, CGST SGST and cess.
- Place of supply and name of destination state for inter-state sales
- Delivery address if it is different from the place of supply
- Tax payable on reverse charge:Information about ‘GST Paid On Reverse Charge’ has to be mentioned on GST invoice.
- “Revised Invoice” or “Supplementary Invoice”,as the case may be, indicated prominently, where applicable along with the date and invoice number of the original invoice; and GST Bill format at the same time.
signature or digital signature of the supplier or his authorized representative.
In addition to the above particulars, an export invoice shall include the following.
- A mandatory statement mentioning these specific words – “SUPPLY MEANT FOR EXPORT ON PAYMENT OF IGST” or “SUPPLY MEANT FOR EXPORT UNDER BOND WITHOUT PAYMENT OF IGST.”
- Country of destination
- Delivery address
- The Number and date of application of form for removal
In case of taxable supply of services in GST Bill format provided, which shall be issued within a periods of thirty days from date of supply of service. When each event is specified in the contract, which requires the recipient to make any payment to the supplier of services, is completed.
Provided further that where the supplier of service is a banking company or a financial institution including a non-banking financial company, the period within which the gst invoice is to be issued shall be forty five days from the date of supply of service.
Manner of issuing invoice
(1) The invoice shall be prepared in triplicate, in case of supply of goods, in the following manner:–
- the original copy being marked as ORIGINAL FOR RECIPIENT;
- the duplicate copy being marked as DUPLICATE FOR TRANSPORTER; and
- the triplicate copy being marked as TRIPLICATE FOR SUPPLIER.
(2) The invoice shall be prepared in duplicate, in case of supply of services, in the following manner:-
- the original copy being marked as ORIGINAL FOR RECEIPIENT; and
- the duplicate copy being marked as DUPLICATE FOR SUPPLIER.
(3) The serial number of invoices issued during a tax period shall be furnished electronically through the Common Portal in FORM GSTR1.
Bill of Supply
When a registered supplier makes a supply of exempted goods or services, or the supplier is registered under the composition scheme, then he has to issue a Bill of Supply instead of a tax invoice.
Voucher under GST: There are 3 types of voucher under Invoice GST.
Receipt Voucher: When a registered dealer receives an advance payment for a supply, the dealer should issue a receipt voucher for the advance paid by the recipient.
Refund Voucher:A refund voucher can be issued by the taxpayer.
Payment Voucher:has to be issued at the time of making payment to the supplier under reverse charge.
Revised tax invoice and credit or debit notes
To revise the taxable value or GST charged in an invoice, a debit note or supplementary invoice or credit note must be issued by the supplier.
- Debit note / Supplementary Invoice – These are to be issued by a supplier to record increase in taxable value &/or GST charged in the original invoice.
- Credit note – These are to be issued by a supplier to record decrease in taxable value &/or GST charged in the original invoice. Credit note must be issued on or before 30th September following the end of the financial year in which the supply was made OR the date of filing of the relevant annual return, whichever is earlier.
Debit notes, supplementary invoices and credit notes must include the following details:
- Nature of the document must be indicated prominently, such as ‘revised invoice’ or ‘supplementary invoice’
- Name, address, and GSTIN of the supplier
- A consecutive serial number containing only alphabets and/or numerals or special characters hyphen “-” or slash “/”, unique for a financial year
- Date of issue of the document
- If recipient is registered- Name, address and GSTIN/Unique ID number of the recipient
- If recipient is unregistered- Name, address of recipient and address of delivery, with state name and code
- Serial number and date of the original tax invoice or bill of supply
- Taxable value of the goods or services, rate of tax and the amount of tax credited or debited to the recipient
- Signature or digital signature of the supplier or his authorized representative